A little bit about Under Armour...
It started with a simple plan to make a superior t-shirt. A shirt that provided compression and wicked perspiration off your skin rather than absorb it. A shirt that worked with your body to regulate temperature and enhance performance.
Founded in 1996 by former University of Maryland football player Kevin Plank, Under Armour is the originator of performance apparel - Gear engineered to keep athletes cool, dry, and light throughout the course of a game, practice, or workout. Under Armour was founded with a mission: To make all athletes better through passion, design, and the relentless pursuit of innovation.
Today, Under Armour is a leading developer, marketer, and distributor of branded performance apparel, footwear, and accessories. The brand's moisture wicking synthetic fabrications are engineered in many different designs and styles for wear in nearly every climate to provide a high-performance alternative to traditional natural fiber products. While the technology behind Under Armour's diverse product assortment for men, women, and youth athletes is complex, the program for reaping the benefits is simple: Wear HEATGEAR when it's hot, COLDGEAR when it's cold, and ALLSEASONGEAR between the extremes.
Under Armour's innovation story continues with the introductions of COLDBLACK, fabric that reflects the heat of the sun, keeping you cool; UA CHARGED COTTON, the world's first performance cotton apparel, which includes UA CHARGED COTTON STORM, a line of water resistant hoodies and pants; UA GREEN, a line of performance apparel built from recycled materials, and the E39 COMPRESSION SHIRT that measures breathing rate, acceleration, and heart rate which debuted at the 2011 NRL combine. The brand also introduced the UA CHARGE RC Running Shoe - Expertly engineered using Under Armour's apparel DNA to provide the ultimate fit as a premier speed runner.
APPAREL TECH INFO
Three different types of Gearlines:
It's very simple, COLDGEAR are designed for those cold weather to keep you warm, ALLSEASONGEAR are designed for when the temperature is between the extremes, this provides ultimate comfort at all time. While HEATGEAR are designed for warm weather to keep you cool by its very efficient sweat wicking properties. Figures below shows more informations you need to know about those technologies.
HeatGear® Sonic allows athletes to feel more comfortable in baselayer apparel than even before, due to the use of a lighter fabric that is incredibly durable and has more balanced stretch numbers. This means that athletes are locked-in and secure without too much squeeze. It means the days of compression shirts riding up during play are gone.
The Under Armour Catalyst Shirt, made from recycled plastic bottles, blurs the line between science and nature. Designed to respond to quick moves, and engineered to increase stamina, even during your most intense cross training sessions. A specialized process recycles plastic bottles and transforms them into a soft but durable yarn that is then knitted into Under Armour performance fabric.
Under Armour took the Go-To Cotton T-shirt and fused it with UA innovation to make the world's first true performance cotton shirt. A game-changing cotton t-shirt that dries up to 5 times faster than ordinary cotton.
- Strands of Pima cotton are treated, or "Charged", with a water-repellant finish to become hydrophobic (Moisture hating) and others are left in their natural state, which is Hydrophilic (Moisture Loving); these strands are woven together into charged cotton fabric.
- The Hydrophobic strands repel moisture to be absorbed across a greater surface area and therefore to evaporate much quicker than regular cotton.
- As the sweat is pushed and pulled to spread across the fabric, sweat lines appear, which proves it is working.
Storm Charged Cotton
You can stay dry and warm in the world's best water-resistant cotton. The Storm Charged Cotton may feel like a regular cotton sweatshirt. Its unique, water-resistant finish actually repels water, without stifling airflow. You'll never be weighed down by training in rain again.
- Charged with a water-resistant finish - Keeps you warm, dry and light
- Cotton products: 100% water repellent before wash and 70% water repellent after 30 washes.
- Poly products: 100% water repellent before wash and 80% water repellent after 20 washes.
Ordinary fabric absorbs UV rays and gets hot. Revolutionary new ColdBlack reflects them - so you feel cooler, sweat less and stay focused.
- Coldblack is a fabric dye, that does not wash out unless bleached.
- Minimum UPR +30, shielding your skin from harm.
- 60% infrared ray reflectance.
Compression built specifically to help get an athlete back to full strength fast following training or competition.
- During training, your muscle fibers get damages, then water invades your muscles as they heal, but water slows down the process. Recharge targets muscles, pushed the water out and enables your muscles to mend faster.
- Strategic compression targets muscles to reduce swelling and decrease soreness times.
- Dynamic casting effect aligns and stabilizes muscles, so they can repairs themselves better.
- Specifically designed resistance range according to the UCONN to create desired amount of pressure.
Base Layer - Transports moisture away from your body, keeping you dry and comfortable. Fits close for support, engineered for a snug feel against the body.
- Base 1.0 - Super-lightweight layer for cooler temperatures and higher activity levels.
- Base 2.0 - Highly versatile midweight layer for colder conditions and a variety of activity levels.
- Base 3.0 - Maximum warmth layer for extreme cold conditions and lower activity levels.
- Midlayer - Provides insulation, keeping your core at the right temperature. Fitted to the body, but not tight.
- Outerwear - Protects you from the elements, so you can enjoy outdoor activities longer. Generously cut for comfort, with maximum range of motion and a full, loose fit.
Benefits of Compression
Whether it's training or gameday, your UA compression base layer makes you better. UA compression unleashes the power of muscles and keeps you stronger for longer.
INCREASED POWER & STAMINA
STAY STRONGER FOR LONGER
Reduces muscle vibration to lessen fatigue and maintain power output. Keeps muscles aligned correctly to increase repetitive muscle power.
KNOW YOUR BODY'S PLACE IN SPACE
Enhances proprioception - The body's recognition of muscle patterns and spatial awareness - To increase muscle efficiency.
GET YOUR MUSCLES BACK TO FULL STRENGTH FAST
Creates a healing environment around muscles and circulatory system. Post-workout, reduces swelling, decreases soreness time and promotes muscle repair.
STAY COOL, DRY AND LIGHT
Wicks moisture to keep you 53% lighter than cotton after 60 minutes of athletic performance. Speeds evaporation to regulate your core temperature.
Fabric technology that neutralizes the microbes that cause odour before there’s any odor at all, resulting in moisture transport with maximum scent suppression.
Polyester fabric that wicks perspiration and dries quickly to provide maximum moisture transport and temperature regulation in hot or cold conditions.
Ultralight polyester microfilament insulation that provides maximum thermal protection with minimal weight.
Knit fabric with a brushed or sheared surface that traps heat in the air pockets between fibers, providing warmth without bulk.
Waterproof, breathable fabric technology that features fully taped seams.
Breathable fabric designed to provide ultraquiet protection and temperature regulation in extreme weather conditions; recommended for hunting.
Lightweight fabric with built-in four-way stretch that improves mobility and accelerates drying time.
Delivers lightweight moisture-wicking performance with a cotton-like feel.
Ultimate base layer collection that filters odors before they can be detected. Odour is absorbed into a polymer shield that is bound to the inner surface of the fabric, while breathability, moisture management, and lightweight performance are maintained.
Most luxurious collection in the Under Armour arsenal, built with “premium technologies for maximum performance.
MPZ (Modular Protection Zones):
Durable, lightweight protection at key contact points without sacrificing compression support.
Blocks wind from penetrating the body. Helps regulate core body temperature.
Locks gear in place using a tactified compound that prevents slippage.
The high visibility solution for training safely during low light conditions.
DWR finished garments resist rain/water, keeping the body protected and dry.
Strategic venting built into garmet at key points where the body dumps heat. Keeps the athlete cool in hot conditions.
Wicks moisture from the body, keeping the athlete dry.
Ultraviolet protection shields your skin from the sun's harmful rays and inhibits premature aging.
Fabric treated with antimicrobial agents to keep your body fresh at all time.
Designed to eliminate bulk at the seams of Under Armour tops and bottoms. While regular seams use a “fabric allowance” that creates bulk and can cause chafing and discomfort, flatlock-stitched seams lie flat, resulting in a sleeker look and feel.
Different from typical tee shirt sleeves. Constructed with long, slanting seams that extend from the neckline and continue around the armhole, leaving no shoulder seams. This style gives shirts increased comfort and freedom of movement.
Thermal Grid Fabric
Constructed with a network of grid channels that trap more air while using less yarn. This makes Under Armour’s base layers incredibly lightweight and quick-drying while keeping your core temperature regulated, enabling maximum performance in a variety of conditions.