Home HIIT Workout with Roz Purcell (Session 2)
Written By: Roz Purcell
Next up in our series of #NoFunStandingStill AT HOME sessions, PT Roz Purcell returns to turbo charge your running with her latest high intensity workout, designed for runners who need to stay active and motivated at home.
If you missed it, you can check out Roz’s first HIIT workout for runners here
Suitable for runners of all levels and abilities, this session focuses on building explosive power, strength and endurance to not only help maintain running fitness at home, but also to help you improve your runs and give you that extra burst strength needed to take your runs to the next level.
This sequence of high intensity intervals will get your heart rate racing and help to develop your form, power and endurance for faster, stronger running and an extra kick of energy in the later stages of your run.
Time: 15 minutes
- Gets the heart rate up and helps runners maintain base fitness
- Builds power and endurance for stronger, faster running
- Running specific movements aimed at boosting running form and performance
- Suitable for beginners and experienced runners
Home HIIT Workout
Warm Up: 5 minutes
- Cat Cow Stretches x 10 – lengthens and warms up the spine, gently waking up and getting the body moving.
- Glute Bridge x 10 – warms up the glutes and hamstrings
- Plank x 30 seconds – activates and warms up the core muscles in preparation for the main workout
- Air Squat x 15 – increases blood flow and loosens up the lower legs
- Reverse lunges x 8 each side – delivers a dynamic stretch for the hamstrings, quads and glutes
- Fast feet x 15 seconds x 2 – warms up knees, calves and feet and raises the heart rate.
- High knees x 15 seconds x 2 – activates and engages core and leg muscles, while raising the heart rate.
Main Workout: 15 minutes
- 4 key movements
- 35 seconds on with 10 seconds off to transition to next movement
- 5 rounds with no breaks
- Squat Jumps – Build explosive strength and power, for faster, stronger running and help boost running economy and endurance.
- Reverse Lunge into High Knee – Develops explosive power and single leg stability, strengthens hamstrings, quads and calves and encourages a powerful knee drive.
- 180° Burpees – Boosts explosive strength and power, delivers full body conditioning, activating muscles in the legs, core, chest, arms and shoulders.
- Plank Get Ups and Jump Outs – Engages and works all of the body’s main muscle groups for full body conditioning, as well as targeting core stability.
Sportsshoes.com’s #NoFunStandingStill AT HOME initiative features exclusive advice and workouts from our ambassadors and experts, helping runners and all fitness enthusiasts to stay motivated, fit and active – at home. Tune in via @sportsshoes Instagram for our latest livestreams covering everything you need to know from stretching and mobility to nutrition and motivating playlists.
For more advice and workouts for runners, check out our Running Hub