Top Tips for Trail Running in Lockdown (Session 2)
Written By: Ben Mounsey
Elite GB mountain runner Ben Mounsey returns for the latest episode of our #NoFunStandingStill AT HOME series to give you the low down on how he’s staying safe, motivated and getting the most out of his training during lockdown.
As we all get used to a new normal, it’s a perfect time for establishing new routines and a new mindset to stay motivated and help keep our training on track.
From safety and hygiene tips, to setting yourself new challenges and the best apps you should be downloading now, Ben shares his latest tips and advice on staying safe and active during lockdown.
Ben’s Top Tips for Trail Runners
Safety and Interpreting the Restrictions
How long and how far we can run within the rules are questions most of us have on our minds. Ben suggests the following for safe training within the rules:
- Keep all runs to a 5-mile radius of your home
- Bear in mind the risks of accident or turning an ankle on the trail and the need to avoid being a burden on mountain rescue and other emergency services
- Only drive to run if you don’t have green space nearby – and keep it local
- Don’t drive anywhere longer than it takes to do the run itself
- Tell someone where you’re going
- Take your phone and emergency items, for example, a waterproof jacket
Health and Hygiene
Training outdoors in green spaces is generally low risk, however you can minimise that risk further by getting used to the following routines:
- Leave your trainers outside the door on your return
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds when you’re back from your run or ride
- Take off your kit as soon as you’re through the door and put it straight in the wash
In a world of uncertainty, it’s a time many of us can find our motivation dropping off and leaving us searching for our running mojo. Stay on track by:
- Having a clear structure to your day
- Build your day around your daily exercise
- Download a fitness app with a 30-day challenge eg. 30 day ab challenge and do this at the same time every day.
- Take some time in your day to look at maps and plan new routes
Staying Motivated and Challenging Yourself
Make the most of free content online and free fitness apps to help keep both your training and motivation levels on the up.
- Use Strava to build new local routes and create segments to challenge yourself and others
- Access all the free online material you can, for example by tuning into free livestream sessions, whether they’re workouts or inspiring motivational chats
- If you’re using the treadmill to supplement your training, Ben recommends using Zwift which for runners is currently free, allowing you to run virtual routes and connect with other runners. You’ll need a foot pod or a shoe such as Under Armour’s HOVR Machina with built in Bluetooth to connect up. Make sure to also tune into Netflix and other TV to watch inspiring running videos to help make the time on the treadmill pass quickly
Above all – stay safe and keep active!
Sportsshoes.com’s #NoFunStandingStill AT HOME initiative features exclusive advice and workouts from our ambassadors and experts, helping runners and all fitness enthusiasts to stay motivated, fit and active – at home. Tune in via @sportsshoes Instagram for our latest livestreams covering everything you need to know from stretching and mobility to nutrition and motivating playlists.
For more advice and workouts for runners, check out our Running Hub