HIIT Workout at Home with PT Roz Purcell (Session 3)
Written By: Roz Purcell
Personal trainer Roz Purcell returns to supercharge your running in the latest of our #NoFunStandingStill AT HOME series of exclusive workouts. If you missed Roz’s previous workouts they can be found here: session one, session two.
Staying indoors is no reason not to continue improving our running. In the latest of her series of bespoke workouts for runners, Roz guides us through a tough high intensity session, focusing on keeping your base fitness levels up and building strength and power to boost endurance and overall performance.
On your marks, get set…
TIME: 15 MINUTES
- Gets the heart rate up and helps maintain base fitness.
- Helps build explosive power and strength for stronger, faster running.
- Running focused movements aimed at boosting form and technique.
- Suitable for runners of all levels, with variations according to ability.
HOME HIIT WORKOUT FOR RUNNERS
WARM UP: 5 MINUTES
1. Cat Cow Stretches x 10 – gently stretches and wakes up the spine.
2. Air Squats x 15 – activates and boosts blood flow to the lower leg muscles.
3. Deep Squat Hold – activates and stretches glutes, hamstrings, calves and lower back, promoting a full range of motion.
4. Bear Crawl Hold x 30 – activates and engages core muscles.
5. Walk out x 8 – stretches out and engages lower back, glutes and legs, activates the core.
6. Jumping Jacks x 1 minute - warms up knees, calves and feet and raises the heart rate.
MAIN WORKOUT: 15 MINUTES
- 35 seconds on
- 10 seconds off to transition to next movement
- x 5 rounds with no breaks
1. Kneeling Up & Down to Jump Squat - Builds strength and explosive power while helping to improve endurance and running economy. Boosts core and single leg stability.
2. Burpee Variations – delivers full body conditioning, particularly engaging quads, abdominals, hamstrings and glutes, strengthens lower back.
3. Walk Outs into Push Up – Boosts core stability, improves upper body strength promoting better running form.
4. Reverse Plank Knee Raiser – Targets, glutes, hamstrings, abs and triceps and helps strengthen lower back for stability.